Saturday, November 5, 2011

East Coast Trip Day 1 NYC

About a month ago Brad and I took a trip back east to visit my sister Tamara, see some old friends, and do some site seeing. I of course took my fun camera with me and came back with piles and piles of pictures. So now you will get to see the pictures and a running commentary on what we saw and did. The trip was a lot of fun, but I think we tried to cram too much into too few days. From September 22 - 29 we went from NYC to Philadelphia to DC and back to NYC.

Brad and I flew into NYC on the red eye and arrived at JFK airport at 6am. We met Tamara at Penn Station and spent the day being total tourists. As you can see below we even did the quintessential carriage ride through Central Park. The theme of the tour was all the famous spots that had been seen in various movies.

I saw this sign as we were taking the train into the city and I just thought it was hilarious and ingenious how they used their wall space.

After central park we went downtown to the site for the twin towers to see the 9-11 memorial. On our way we stopped in at the church right near the site that had been used by the rescue and relief workers right after 9-11. The inside of the church has become more of a community center and 9-11 museum than a church at this point.
The inside of the church has become a memorial in its own right where they have displayed numerous of the mementos that were left at the site and sent during the time of the recuse efforts.
The view below used to have the twin towers behind the steeple.
There is an old cemetery out behind the church, these ribbons have been tied in the trees. If you can't read the text on the ribbon it says, "Remember to Love".
Later as we were walking from the 9-11 memorial down to catch the ferry out to see the Statue of Liberty, we passed this square filled with food carts and trucks providing lunch to all these construction workers. These construction workers are working on the reconstruction at ground zero. I had to take a picture because it struck me as a beautiful relationship that out of such tragedy could come such activity and prosperity for so many people.


The eternity pools are amazing at the 9-11 memorial. They are constructed in such a way that unless you are looking down on them you can't see the bottom. Circling each one are the names of all those who died on 9-11. It was nice that they made a memorial that was not static but would provide constant movement and sound.
All around people had left flowers and small american flags as mementos.
This tree is the only one that survived 9-11. As you can see they have gone to great lengths to help it survive, and protect it.
The view of the statue of liberty from the ferry.
We got tickets to be able to go up inside the statue to the top of the pedestal. I had to take all kinds of pictures because I was just in away of how it was put together. Of course it was also fun to take a picture of the lines and light and shadow it included.
It was pretty windy on the pedestal and you can see NYC in the background.

The absolutely amazing few from Liberty Island. Trust me I have a lot of other pictures but rather than torturing everyone with them here I am going to put them on my facebook page. I promise I will provide documentation of the rest of our adventure but I didn't want to overwhelm anyone, including myself. Needless to say I have a lot of pictures to go through.

No comments: