Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Caleb's Arrival

Caleb was due on July 26th,  but I didn't really start having contractions until 2:30am on July 27th, by about 8am I decided it was time to go to the hospital, so we got packed up and ready to go only to have  the contractions slow back down to about 15 minutes apart.  So we spent the day doing laundry, working on projects, watching tv, and having contractions.  By about 5pm things had started to progress so we headed to the hospital.  It was definitely a good idea because I had 2 contractions in the 15 minutes it took to get to the hospital.  My friend Erica called while we were on our way to the hospital,  it was fun hear her reaction when I told her that I would have to get off the phone soon because we were on our way to the hospital.  The following pictures are our documentation of the events of the day.
 Arriving at the hospital still on the phone talking to Erica.  I need to add that the dress I am sporting was purchased way back when I was a student at BYU.  I have kept it all these years in anticipation of being pregnant some day.  The oversized baggy look went out of style years ago but it works great as a maternity dress.  See sometimes you do use those things you hang on to.

I had the sweetest labor and delivery nurses ever.  They were amazingly patient and very kind.  The funniest part about being in the hospital was that every shift of nurses who were assigned to us had one who was pregnant on it.  Let me just say this, nurses who are nice enough to let you sleep when you have been awake for over 24 hours are worth their weight in gold.  

 The nurses kept telling me that I was being entirely too calm about the whole thing.  Needless to say about 3 hours later when the contractions got really intense I did everything I could to prove them wrong in that assessment.

To pass the time we brought the DVD collection of MASH with us.  It actually did a great job of distracting me, funny enough but without a serious plot line that I had to pay attention to.
 Here is our boy getting cleaned up and weighed, needless to say he didn't like that experience too much.  But once they got a diaper on him, calmed right down.  During this whole process Brad was assessing if he looked like a Caleb or Brandon, (those were our boy name choices).  After about 15 minutes he looked over at me and said "He's a Caleb".  It was also at this point that I asked the nurse for the camera because I had to try and capture the look on Brad's face as he held his son for the first time.

 Here we are welcoming our boy to the family, needless to say we decided pretty quickly that we were going to keep him.  In fact I am still pretty amazed that the nurses let us take him home from the hospital.


Whitney Davis said...

Beautiful! Good Job Mommy & Daddy! More pics on FB! :)

Amanda and Miles said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm glad it all went well.

Darcy said...

Yay, You are a rock star!